Skip to main content

On a day like today (Hilarious while in Pain)

I am suffering from a severe throat infection which has severely affected my vocal cords. Hence, I am unable to speak. Any attempt to speak is nothing more than blowing air which, may sound like a whisper or just, nothing.

So, my parents and father-in-law (FIL) are informed that I can’t speak. An instruction was given that at home all calls at the door and phone should be answered by anyone but me.

Challenge 1
I am in the living room seated next to the telephone, which rang. Unlike, otherwise I would have answered the phone but today I had a problem, I couldn’t speak. Three, four, five times the phone rang but FIL didn’t come to answer and I was unable to call him (remember I couldn’t speak). Fortunately, he arrived to answer the phone.

To answer the phone or get someone to answer the phone, could be a challenge was a though out of my radar until today.

Challenge 2 (FIL is on the phone talking)
Yes, Mangesh has gone to office. Yes, she is home. Yes, but she can’t speak. Ok!” and he handed over the phone to me and left the room. What am I supposed to do? I can’t speak.
Sheep
Bha!

With no means to convey my difficulty, I put the receiver to my ear to realise that my mother wanted to speak to me, very well knowing that I couldn’t speak.

Moms are moms!!!

Conversation
Mom: Hello!
Me: Bha (Hello)
Mom: Hello, will Mangesh come home for lunch?
Me: Bha (followed by) O!
Mom: Ok, you will come home for lunch, right?
Me: Ah, A!


Mom: You will na?
Me: (With great efforts) Ss!!
Mom: I am preparing dal and rice for you, is it ok?
Me: (Helplessly looking at the walls, she had many questions to ask)
Mom: Hello!
Me: (with great efforts I managed to say) As!
For many of us especially parents, nothing can beat one to one conventional mode of conversation. SMS, WhatsApp, what are they? They will want to talk to you even if you can’t; obviously because they can. Handling parents at times is a challenge.

Challenge 3 (One more conversation, face to face with FIL)
FIL: Our neighbour (waiting for my response)
Me: Nodding
FIL: Our neighbour’s father (again waiting for my nod as if I had difficulty in understanding)
Me: Nodding with more energy this time
FIL: Room number (and he gestures a zero, three, ten, four, later trying to draw the room number in the air leaving me perplexed. I thought to myself, I am unable to speak, but I can very well listen and understand. Why is he using sign language?)
Me: (this time with great efforts and expression, pointing towards my ears I said) I an ear.

In the next sentence which lasted not more than 10 seconds, he conveyed the message.

Hilarious these three instances were which occurred back to back in an hours’ time. I was fortunate that I temporarily suffered loss of speech and was able to enjoy the silence.

A few moments later I realised the importance of being heard. Not only when we speak but also when silent. Whether we can’t or won’t speak, we have tonnes of emotions/opinions to express.

To be heard is as important as to be able to speak. Whether it’s a bedridden patient, a child in a corner of the room, a colleague, a vendor or is it you?

So let’s attempt to hear the unheard!

Maybe on a day like today?



Comments

Pr@Gun said…
Lovely post, this is how we realize the importance of things we have, but never give due importance. nicely written.
Purvesh Gada said…
Hahaha, I laughed out loud. such small but important things in life!

Popular posts from this blog

Who am I?

The first news I came across in 2020 was about a Bollywood movie crossing 100 Cr mark. This happened when Pragun mentioned about a blog hop she was hosting based on Bollywood. The prompts were thoughtful but filmy. As an individual, I am filmy but my writing is not. That’s when I noticed this inseparable aspect of movies. In this post, the climax will reveal the identity of the protagonist, until then enjoy the suspense. Who am I? I am sweet but most of the time I am salty. Pls note, you have met me and you have liked me. I am feather-light, my figure is unique. You and I have watched many movies. In the park, by the lake or at home. You & your family prefer me to kill your boredom. I love your family, they are too filmy, That’s the reason I hang around with your family. Your mother turns 16, when she sees Shahrukh on screen Then you father quips, with some singing. ‘Aaane wala pal, jane wala hai’, says your father In response ‘ye kaha a