Skip to main content

Migrants in India


The world has come to a state of nowhere, almost.
Somebody, somewhere triggered the spread of the deadly virus which is growing and eliminating mankind. The catastrophe has highlighted the state of migrants in India and world-over.

In India migrants travel 100s of kilometres on foot to find a job that fulfils their basic need – food. They move as per the season – tourist season, construction, monsoon…..and so on. They keep moving. Unfortunately in spite of regular interstate movement, they are hand to mouth.

In this world of poor & plenty, they move from one destination to another. So, while they walk 200, 300 kms on a regular basis their food, shelter and rest is taken care at Dhabaas, definitely not for free. They earn their roti by working at the Dhaabas.

No work, no income, so as the tradition goes they want to move to a new destination. This time it is called ‘home’. To return home is their only wish during COVID-19.
As we know during normalcy records are broken, inventions applauded, products glamourized and lifestyle celebrated. Unlike normalcy, this is the time when each one is in a state of fear & suffering. But whatever the state be, the news is produced and delivered. As the country in under lockdown, the focus seems to be on migrants.

Migrant workers suffer
Migrants walk kilometres
Migrants want to return….

What’s New?
They have always suffered. Working as contract labour was never a glamorous job. They are not accounted for. They don’t arrive in charter flights. They reach the destination by themselves, on foot, most of them, most of the time. Travel is not comfortable. They move every time when work is over or there is no work left for them.

Unfortunately, this time while news was in making they were not kept informed. They weren’t on anyone’s checklist. They were just present in almost every part of India. They were not considered or should I say were never considered.

Hope the nation will realise who they are and how they make a difference.

#Humanity #RespectForAll 
*images courtesy pixabay.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who am I?

The first news I came across in 2020 was about a Bollywood movie crossing 100 Cr mark. This happened when Pragun mentioned about a blog hop she was hosting based on Bollywood. The prompts were thoughtful but filmy. As an individual, I am filmy but my writing is not. That’s when I noticed this inseparable aspect of movies. In this post, the climax will reveal the identity of the protagonist, until then enjoy the suspense. Who am I? I am sweet but most of the time I am salty. Pls note, you have met me and you have liked me. I am feather-light, my figure is unique. You and I have watched many movies. In the park, by the lake or at home. You & your family prefer me to kill your boredom. I love your family, they are too filmy, That’s the reason I hang around with your family. Your mother turns 16, when she sees Shahrukh on screen Then you father quips, with some singing. ‘Aaane wala pal, jane wala hai’, says your father In response ‘ye kaha a