Skip to main content

A Gift from the Past

 A couple of days ago my mother was remembering her mother. She shared a number of instances bringing alive the era of the early 90s. Back then the number of siblings was never less than two. In some cases, they would be in double digits.

More than nine kids around? A word best describes the scene at home – Chaos. Or complete chaos?

Imagine the youngest crying for food and eldest pleading for sound sleep. The relation of the eldest with the youngest. The varied activities of every child - one crawling or trying to walk, another in school and the eldest preparing for higher studies. The early 90s as a parent seems mind-boggling. Though the culture of joint family prevailed it seems there was never an end to raising kids. As in the case of my grandparents, they had eight children, yes eight!

By the time their youngest became a toddler the eldest became a parent. Which was then followed by the rest of their children. My grandmom after raising her kids raised her grandchildren. Back then women were so used to raising children that they cherished every moment of being surrounded by kids. Raising them all.

While I heard my mother one thought crossed my mind again and again. How did they manage to raise them all? How did they manage to give each one time? How did they instill values in them? How was the setup? What role did each family member play? I wonder which algorithm worked back then? 

My uncle and aunties have many commonalities. Definitely, genes play a role but there is something beyond it. They are also way too different but at the same time so similar to one another, especially in batches. I mean children of an era shared similar commonalities and differences when compared to their older or younger batch. A batch includes children and grandchildren.

The day came to an end with the same questions lingering in my mind. I picked up a book to bed trying to figure out the secret magical formula of raising children. As I opened the book to read (The Best Kept Secret) my son settled next to me with a copy of Secret Seven.

Looking at him I remembered a famous quote –

 “Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them.”

I guess the algorithm is decoded. I surely have. While we can’t emphasize more the importance of parent behavior with regards to impact on kids’ overall development, we should also remember that…

…to be in your children’s memories tomorrow you have to be present in their lives today.

Today we cherish the gift from the past, so will the generations to come.

#HappyParenting

#Leadership #InfluencerBehaviour #GreatLeaders

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who am I?

The first news I came across in 2020 was about a Bollywood movie crossing 100 Cr mark. This happened when Pragun mentioned about a blog hop she was hosting based on Bollywood. The prompts were thoughtful but filmy. As an individual, I am filmy but my writing is not. That’s when I noticed this inseparable aspect of movies. In this post, the climax will reveal the identity of the protagonist, until then enjoy the suspense. Who am I? I am sweet but most of the time I am salty. Pls note, you have met me and you have liked me. I am feather-light, my figure is unique. You and I have watched many movies. In the park, by the lake or at home. You & your family prefer me to kill your boredom. I love your family, they are too filmy, That’s the reason I hang around with your family. Your mother turns 16, when she sees Shahrukh on screen Then you father quips, with some singing. ‘Aaane wala pal, jane wala hai’, says your father In response ‘ye kaha a